Welcome to our class blog!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Heroism

Leo is a very interesting character in this book. As a reader, I find myself hoping all along that he will find the motivation to stand up for what he actually wants - Stargirl.  There are multiple occasions that Leo has the choice to defend Stargirl from the harsh judgments and actions of his and her peers, and he never chooses to.  In the end, Leo let's his desire to be accepted win over his attraction to Stargirl's carefree lifestyle.

Seeing Stargirl contrasted with Leo, in my mind, really makes Stargirl out to be a hero. The character of Leo really shows the struggle to step outside of the norm of your peer group - that's to say, it is not easy.  With Leo so clearly displaying this, and Stargirl being true to herself anyways, it is easy to count Stargirl a hero. 

I love this book for middle school students, because in my mind this is the age that students begin to form really individualized identities. I want to encourage my students to be 'heroic' and stand up for what they believe in. 

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I think Stargirl proves herself over and over of being a hero (undefined). Going through such a tough part of life and being able to truly be yourself is one of the most complicated aspects of life. I think you could argue she is a hero to multiple characters in this book . I mean even at one point we all think she has "saved" Leo. Ultimately, she made an impact on every life she touched in this novel. Which I think you can say that's undoubtedly a main quality of a hero.

    ReplyDelete