Welcome to our class blog!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What a book!

There are so many things I wondered and though about when I sat down to read this book. I sat on the couch in my living rooms on one of the recent beautiful days and read through the entire book. it brought back fond memories I have as an adolescent doing the same thing and once again I found myself getting lost in the book.

While reading the description of Stargirl in the book and about her behavior, one may not connect her with the word hero. However, I believe she is a hero undefined. I know that she did many things that would horrify me. I consider myself a pretty confident person but could not imagine doing some of the things she did just because she was who she was.  In the society that young girls are growing up in, the fact that Stargirl was herself dispite what other people thought made her a hero. Even from the beginning of the story, I predicted that Stargirl would lose this quality of heroism in being herself when she joined the cheer leading squad but even that did not confine her to become like everyone else.


I believe girls of all ages can look to Stargirls behavior and be encouraged to be themselves and not worry about others thoughts or reactions.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, such a powerful message to send to girls of all ages. Something our society really struggles with is the power to be one's self. It really does take "power" to deal with this "struggle". Self confidence isn't taken lightly and this young lady's ability to shine through this book is outstanding.

    This story just pulls at you to be yourself. So uplifting yet, crushing. I think this is a great book for middle school girls to read. Everyone needs a hero, and as mentioned above, you wouldn't expect someone who "looks, or acts" the way Stargirl does to be a hero.Once you really crack into the book you realize how special she is, and the hero (undefined) to everyone she can be.

    I agree, I was a little upset when she became "normal" I thought, it's a shame that she gave up on herself, but was admittedly a little excited when she went back to "Stargirl"

    Very inspiring, powerful message behind this book.

    ReplyDelete